Monday, April 14, 2014

The Beginning

I am now a week into my journey and having my first night in a town. I'm staying with a friend I met on the trail, tie dye and his crew. Tie dye lives in this beautiful spot on the river outside of hot springs North Carolina. 

In my first week I have hiked over eighty two miles. The first few days were tough and I will admit I questioned my decision to leave home.  Yet now that I have found my rhythm, pace and friends I am more than content. I have started hiking with two German girls, cowboy and Indiana, and their dogs. They are also on a gap year and we hike the same pace. We don't spend the whole day together but sleep in the same place. So far I have slept in a shelter all but one night. The weather in the smokies was quite cold but now at a lower elevation it is moist and sunny, with even a little bit of rain.

As far as the daily hiking goes, I basically spend the day going up and down, up and down. This is monotony makes the changes in the mountain flowers, or the occasional waterfall even more magical. I am finding the hiking a perfect time to reflect and observe. Hiking for so many miles allows an almost meditative state that invites in just the exact present moment. Before I left I did a one day meditation retreat at Cambridge zen center and the zen master told me " worry not of the future nor of the past because it creates a box in your mind that codes out possibilities". This has really rung true to me as I have been hiking. Each day I need mostly to just simply be and reach my goal. 
I have met so many amazing people so far and the kindness everyone shares ceases to amaze me. I cannot wait to see where the trail brings me. 
More tomorrow during out zero day 
Happy trails 



No comments:

Post a Comment