Saturday, April 5, 2014

La Montagne

Today I fly to North Carolina to do a section hike of the appalachian trail. I will be hiking 670 miles spanning from Clingmans Dome, North Carolina to Waynesboro, Virginia. 

Originally this year I was going to do a thru hike (hike the entire trail) but after the loss of a dear friend have gotten a late start. I am still excited to commit myself fully to two months of backpacking and exploring. Watch out because now I'm about to get a bit sappy on you, which I consider to be completely understandable given the adventure ahead, and the tears behind me. 

This opportunity, to follow in the literal footsteps of so many amazing athletes, legends, and overall fantastic people, I feel so lucky to have this opportunity at all. If I have learned anything this year in my travels, conversations, and heartbreak it is that you must seize every opportunity and live each day to the fullest. The world is such a vast place with so much to explore.  One must make the effort to open their hearts and minds to any possibility, or experience, that comes our way, good and bad. 

I plan on dedicating this hike to my dear friend Benjamin who I, and all those whose lives he touched, lost a month and a half ago. He too had a passion for the outdoors and the beauty of nature. I had hoped he would join me for part of my thru hike once I reached the rocky crests of the Maine mountains. Even though he cannot physically walk with me, I carry his memory and love with me every day, and will for every step of the trail. He knew how to live each moment intentionally in the exact present, appreciating things for what they are.  It is through his eyes that I will try to experience my hike, and each treasure it brings.

I will post more in the next few days, before I embark into the woods. Below I have attached a picture of all of my gear. It includes everything from my clothes, to my stove, to the extra batteries for my headlamp. 

1 comment:

  1. Hope you have an incredible time Isa! I can't wait to hear about it from you you get back!

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete