Friday, May 9, 2014

Hampton TN

I write from Hampton Teneseee. I have been here for a few days resting up as Cowboy, my hiking partner feels better. She has been I'll but has I proved greatly after a few nights in a few hostels and some random acts of kindness. We spent two nights at a hostel in the mountains and last night moved to a hostel in town so shopping and the pharmacy are more accessible. Hampton is a tiny town mainly consisting of a dollar general, pharmacy, school, subway, gun store, and a gas station with mcdonalds. The amount of confederate flags and trailers is beyond what I could have imagined, which has provided some interesting discussions with cowboy. Most importantly though the people are lovely and generous. 

Tonight will be our last in Hampton and then our next stop will be Damascus, or the friendliest hiker town on the trail. 

The past week after Erwin has been wonderful, aside from cowboy getting sick. There were three days in a row with 100% chance rain and I only got wet once. All three days turned out to be beautiful for the most part. We got to spend the week hiking with some wonderful people.  They included Nora V and the Pope(my first friends on the trail), Slayer, Moses, Bobcat( from Israel), the chef, rocky, and sparky. This group ranged in age from us the youngest at 19 to mid thirties. We also ranged in hometown from Vermont, to Israel, to Germany. They are now a few days ahead of us but I hope to catch up with them eventually and if not see them at trail days. 

The hiking this past week was wonderful we summiteers roan mountain which is the only mountain not in the white mountains that is over 6,000 feet. Right before our ascent we encountered some trail magic and were given sandwiches and fresh fruit and brownies. This food fueled our four mile climb and kept us full until our next trail magic that was fresh pizza in baggies hanging on a tree. The trail always magically provides when you need it. After Roan mountain we also got to go over three balds which gave us some wonderful views. After the balds we stopped in the little town of roan for a little resupply and the best breakfast on the trail at mountain harbor b&b. the breakfast was amazing it had everything from Carmelized bananas to pancakes to biscuits and gravy.  It was amazing. It was nice to have something home cooked and not fast food. 

Which leads me to my next anecdote and food story. Since we have been in Hampton we have visited mcdonalds a few times. The first time only for a few minutes and without the dog of my friend, Lotta. The second time we stayed there for a few hours sipping drinks and using the wifi. We got many kind remarks and offers for rides from people who knew the trail or lived by it. We were given coupons and extra pies. Every other person stopped to talk to us and ask us questions. Towards the end of our second visit we made friends with the manager and she gave us a bag of hamburgers to give to Lotta (This was greatly appreciated by Lotta). Then today we were there for a few minutes having some coffee when the manager came up to me and said, if you hang out another half hour il have some more treats for you. Expecting a burger for Lotta we happily sat and used the wifi until the manager came out. Only she was carrying two bags full of biscuits and another bag with patties in it for Lotta. There were between forty and fifty biscuits fresh and warm. We ended up running into some other hikers who we have most of the biscuits to, but it was such a kind act of generosity. They we're going to throw them out anyway, so I don't know f that further indicates people putting us in the category of homeless, but man I enjoyed those biscuits. It was great to be thought of and to receive selfless generosity. 

The trail has already brought me so many surprising places. Three weeks ago I would never have imagined I would be spending my r&r time in a mcdonalds with a German girl. If you leave your mind open the trail, the adventures are endless. 

Shelter we had all to ourself our first night out of Erwin. It was built fairly recently and we got to enjoy s'mores there. 

Beauty spot was the first bald we encounterd out of Erwin. It was beautiful and we received apples from a reitment outdoor group we met there. 

My hammock set up one night just before a beautiful sunset. 

Cowboy inside a tree and Lotta being the German supermodel she is. 

A picture of a giant tree the whole gang climbed. Chef made us sandwiches and we enjoyed and hour or so up in it. If you look closely it's the big dark tree closest to left , and me.

One of two gorgeous waterfalls I saw one day. Shortly after this it started thundering  but I enjoyed a peaceful few minutes doing some sketching and thinking. 

The loft of the first three story shelter I stayed in. It was pouring that night and the rain was magical on the roof. Nora v and I were the last ones there and no one had claimed the loft, but I think we lucked out. 

The three story Mountain Falls shelter from outside. We have been splending our nights fifty fifty in shelters and in campsites. For me in a hammock and for
Cowboy her tent. At this point I sleep better in my hammock so I will consistently chose it over shelters, also to avoid the numerous viruses going around. 

Cowboy with our forty plus biscuits this morning. 








No comments:

Post a Comment