Saturday, November 2, 2013

So long, but not goodbye

Today is our last day in Chamonix, and although it is sad I know this goodbye is not forever. I domt even like to use the word goodbye because it implies permanence. It has been Ana amazing experience staying here and I really have grown attached to the friends we have made here and the landscape that surrounds Chamonix. We have already started planning reunions with our closet friends and are trying to align our future travels further.

This past week has been spent doing everything we could. We have done the best hikes, visited all the cafes we had been eyeing, and tried all the pastry shops that line the streets. monday we climbed the aiguillette de Argentiere (a needle like rock formation above Chamonix. It was an hour hike up then the climb itself took about ten minutes. Our friend who is training to be a mountain guide fixed a rope at the top so it was easier to climb up. Then, another special twist we fixed a line between the needle and the facing rock wall so we could pull ourselves across it like a zip line. It was one of the coolest things I've done since in France and was really cool because I do to use the sprocket climbing skills I've learned. Then Tuesday we went down the valley to Sallanches, a more urban bustling city, to check it out, only to remember we're not crazy about cities and realize Chamonix is definitely the place to be in the Rhone Alps valley. Yesterday was spent climbing up the two and a half hours to lac Blanc. A picturesque lac that is situated directly above Chamonix. The way up was not super tough but was filled with ladders, necessary for the steep parts. On the way down we took one wrong turn but were able to easily correct our error and got down just as the sun was setting. If ever in Chamonix you must head up to lac Blanc it's view and pristine waters are better than most of the views on the tour du Mont Blanc.

What I can take away from my time in Chamonix is that it doesn't matter how old you are, you can still do amazing things with you life if you have passion. Physical capability is as much drive is it is natural talent and with drive you can conquer mountains. I have learned that I really do love mountains and the lifestyle of a small mountain town, and in turn that cities are not for me. I am excited to travel to Paris tomorrow but this is definitely going to be a hard goodbye. Tonight is Halloween and even though it doesn't compare to Halloween in the states I cannot wait to dress up and go out one last time with our friends here. Below I have attached some pictures from the past week and from our hike up to lac Blanc yesterday. 

This is above lac Blanc. The mountain in the background with the snowy top is Mont Blanc.

My friend Catrine and I in front of lac Blanc 

This is another shot of lac Blanc. The mountain all the way to the right with the snowy top is Mont Blanc.
This is me on the zip line. The aiguillette is to my right.



That is me climbing up, I was belayed from above, a different set up than what we had used before. This was so who ever went across the zip line could also be attached by belay on the rock and not just the pulley.

This is a shot of the whole aiguillette and line we set up.


A lovely church in Argentiere.

 

These two shots are from last weekend when we spent an afternoon on the para gliders landing field. 
My two lovely roommates And our lovely pan of banana bread.
This is rue du moulin, it's the place to be at night, it's where all the hoppin local bars are with the exception of our favorite, Elevation. 








No comments:

Post a Comment